Re: [IAB] Call for Comment: <draft-iab-rfc3677bis> (IETF ISOC Board of Trustee Appointment Procedures)

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Wed, 20 April 2016 19:30 UTC

Subject: Re: [IAB] Call for Comment: <draft-iab-rfc3677bis> (IETF ISOC Board of Trustee Appointment Procedures)
From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:30:30 -0400
To: Scott Bradner <sob@sobco.com>
Cc: "architecture-discuss@ietf.org" <architecture-discuss@ietf.org>, IAB <iab@iab.org>, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>, IETF <ietf@ietf.org>

Scott:

I think that the language can be aligned with very minimal changes.

If I have understood the potential change to the ISOC Bylaws, this
will work with the current bylaws and the poposed ones, if they are
approved.

OLD:

   This document describes the process for the general, annual
   appointment of ISOC Trustees to fill the seats of Trustees whose
   terms are ending.  However, if an IETF-appointed Trustee is unable to
   serve his or her full term, the IAB may, at its discretion,
   immediately select a replacement to serve the remainder of the term
   using the interim process defined in Section 3.5.1.  If the IAB does
   not invoke the interim process, the next annual selection process
   will fill the vacancy (if the vacant term does not end at that point)
   as well as the regular appointment for that selection cycle.

NEW:

   This document describes the process for the general, annual
   appointment of ISOC Trustees to fill the seats of Trustees whose
   terms are ending.  However, if an IETF-appointed Trustee is unable to
   serve his or her full term, the IAB may, at its discretion, select a
   replacement to serve the remainder of the term using the interim
   process defined in Section 3.5.1, with a start date consistent
   with the [ISOC-By-Laws].  If the IAB does not invoke the interim
   process, the next annual selection process will fill the vacancy
   (if the vacant term does not end at that point) as well as the
   regular appointment for that selection cycle.

Russ