Re: Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 20 August 2018 17:36 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:36:14 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

This URL from MICE is very helpfull. I at least feel safe to
just go there just as a "tourist", no visa needed.

We had the same disucssion two years ago for Buenos Aires,
and there was no official statement like this on any argentinian
web page i found, and the consulates all told me different useless
stuff. We finally figured out in the discussion on the mailing
list something similar though (no money received == tourist).

It would be good for IASA to ask new host countries to
provide as clear an unambiguous guidance as they can for
conference attendees. The text from this thailand page would
be a good reference for future countries.

Of course, this likely will only make life easier for the hmm..
> 70% of IETF attendees with passport privilege to go places as
tourists without any Visa.

Cheers
    Toerless

--