Re: [79all] IETF Badge

Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net> Fri, 12 November 2010 23:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:07:46 -0500
To: Ole Jacobsen <ole@cisco.com>
From: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [79all] IETF Badge
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

At 11:19 PM 11/11/2010, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

>Mike,
>
>(Why doesn't your email client display your name by the way?)

Because It sent it via the annoying Comcast web client.

>I know you asked the question of Ray, but:

Thanks for answering a question I didn't ask. And editing my email to remove the specific comment of Ray's to which I was reacting

That comment is:

I'm going out on a limb here and surmise the 3 people were local attendees.

What I asked was whether or not the decision to require a strict mapping of badge to person was an IAOC decision or the host/hotel/someone else?   You sort of indicate that it was "the local host" and the (paraphrasing here) "cultural artifact".  But then go on to "its no big thing"

Prior to the day pass experiment (and I would guess even during) companies would pass around badges for folks that wanted to attend - especially local first timers, but didn't need to be there for more than a day or a meeting.  As far as I know we (IETF) have no policy on this.

Is it the IAOC's intent to place guards at the entrance to future meetings who will require attendees to show a drivers license or other credential as well as a badge?   If so, when was the decision made?  If not, why was it appropriate for this meeting?  (And I will accept "our hosts/hotel" required it - but then we need to have a longer discussion about the specific circumstances in which a host can change the model of how we hold an IETF.).

For this meeting we had three post-site-selection controls imposed from without - the "hotel can cancel the meeting" clause which was resolved/removed prior to contract signature, the "IETF network must be strictly controlled" which was imposed after contract signature and resulted in a bit of extra work at Maastricht and the "Host will ensure badges are worn to access all IETF spaces and events" which was imposed concurrently with the actual meeting.

[Breaking away from this - BOFs have typically been events where non-attendees are present and encouraged, for the one BOF I attended this time there was the same no badge/no access]

Ole - it really isn't about whether or not someone get to enter an IETF room without an IETF badge, it's whether the IETF is in charge of that policy (and our own fate) and what to do when our policies conflict with a host/hotel/government.  Prior to contract signature it may be possible to walk away.  Post signature - well bait and switch.  How do we push back? How do we qualify a site so that local policy impositions are either known in advanced and agreed to or negotiated away?

Mike

>Whether or not the security concerns or free-loader concerns
>are real or imaginary, I strongly believe that the local organizers
>did what they believed to be the norm, the culture and perhaps even
>some notion of a "requirement" here, and that this would not cause
>any problem for the IETF (which I would claim is largely true)

[If this clause isn't the very definition of apologist, I'm very confused about that definition]