Re: Things that I think obvious....

Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com> Wed, 15 September 2004 13:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:19:08 -0400
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, ietf@ietf.org
From: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Subject: Re: Things that I think obvious....
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Harald,

As you say below, "clarity is good".  So, before I respond to this
post, I would like to better understand what you are asking...

RFC 3716 includes the following section:

"4.3.  Who Can Decide

    The AdvComm believes that the IETF leadership, acting with the advice
    and consent of the IETF community and ISOC, have the ability and the
    responsibility to act on the recommendation to formalize the IETF."

So, given your definitions below and the contents of other messages,
I think you are asking whether there is IETF community consensus on
the following statement:

    The [IESG and IAB], acting with the advice and consent of the [people
    who do the technical work of the IETF] and ISOC, have the ability and
    the responsibility to act on the recommendation to formalize the IETF
    [administrative support activity].

To make a decision regarding whether or not I agree with this
statement, I would need to understand what is meant by "advice and
consent".  In previous non-public conversations, these terms have
been defined as follows:

>- ADVICE - someone posits a problem, the group discusses, and comes up
>with viewpoints that may or may not be helpful. The viewpoints go back
>to the person(s) being advised, but the group is NOT expected to reach a
>decision. Conflicting opinions are expected, and are Not A Problem.
>
>- CONSENT - someone makes a proposal, and asks for the consent of the
>group. The group uses the consensus process to develop a position, but
>the outcome is much more bounded than in consensus problem solving -
>generally, it's limited to "I can live with this" and "Go back and try
>again, this won't work".

Advice from the community can be obtained through discussion on this
(and other?) IETF mailing lists and through plenary discussions.

The usual method for determining the consent of the community is
through IETF Last Call and IESG review/approval.

In other words, I think you are proposing that the options for
administrative restructuring should be discussed openly (as they are
being discussed now) so that the community has an opportunity to
provide advice, that the IAB & IESG should jointly develop a specific
proposal for further community review/advice, and that the final
proposal should be subject to community consent through the usual
IETF Last Call and IESG review/approval mechanism.

Am I understanding your question correctly?  If so, then yes, I do
agree with it.

...but I don't consider it to be at all obvious.

Margaret