RE: I mentioned once that certain actions of the IETF may be criminallyprosecutable in nature...

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Mon, 02 June 2008 18:50 UTC

Subject: RE: I mentioned once that certain actions of the IETF may be criminallyprosecutable in nature...
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:49:57 -0700
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: TS Glassey <tglassey@certichron.com>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Cc: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Todd,

   This is nonsense, stop it.

   Of course IETF communications could give rise to the posibility of criminal prosecutions in certain circumstances. The IESG could in theory plot a murder.

   That does not mean that every legal concotion you imagine is backed by criminal sanctions. On the contrary, conspiracy is only a crime if the object of the conspiracy is criminal.

   Depriving someone of their 'right' to flame in an Internet forum might under certain circumstances give rise to civil liability. But the right of standards bodies to impose reasonable participation criteria is well established in US law. The participation criteria in the IETF are considerably more inclusive than in OASIS, W3C or IEEE.

   There is a place for this argument - alt.flame