Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info> Wed, 19 December 2007 21:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:49:17 -0500
From: Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info>
To: alh-ietf@tndh.net
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, iaoc@ietf.org, 'John C Klensin' <john-ietf@jck.com>, 'IETF Chair' <chair@ietf.org>, dcrocker@bbiw.net, 'Pete Resnick' <presnick@qualcomm.com>, 'Sam Hartman' <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

Tony Hain wrote:
> Sam,
>
> While I understand the virtue in behave-compatible nats, how realistic is it
> to believe that any service provider is going to allow a consumer to
> directly signal their infrastructure? This assumption was the failing of
> RSVP as an endpoint qos tool.

(Here's the problem with taking one result, and attempting to apply it
to another problem space:
RSVP was necessarily an in-band protocol, and tied intrinsically to the
local provider's network.)

There is *nothing* in IPv6->IPv4 that is *strictly* tied to the provider
of IPv6 services.
It may be the case that ISPs try to "scare" their customers into
believing otherwise, but that is not a technical issue.

So, while the "third party" problem is a concern where the third party
has a de-facto monopoly,
the counter-argument under the IPv6 access model exists. If you can get
anywhere on the IPv6 Internet,
you can get to *any* third-party IPv6->IPv4 gateway, limited only by the
ability to reach & interest
of the third party, e.g. someone offering it as a service.

Since IPv6 access is no-NAT to/from the IPv6 DFZ, unlike much of IPv4,
there is a level playing
field for network-facing services, such as IPv6->IPv4 access, and
IPv6-oriented ALGs.
Mail relaying, for instance, via MX-IPv4 to SMTP-IPv6.

The rest of your argument falls off the rails, as soon as the "third
party" changes from "_the_"
third party, to "_a_" third party.

In an IPv6 world, ISPs can once again be differentiated to include
ISPs-lite, Internet Access Providers.

I'd suggest that for the experiment planned for IETF-71, that interested
folks set up *competing* IPv6->IPv4 services,
kind of like a mock marketplace, and including mock advertising on a
special (IPv6-only) web site for just this purpose.
Then the results would have multiple dimensions, comparative results
much like an actual ba*k o*f.

Brian Dickson