Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09.txt> (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry) to BCP

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Wed, 02 February 2011 09:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:16:32 +0100
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09.txt> (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry) to BCP
Cc: IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>

Cullen Jennings skrev 2011-02-01 18:19:

> So to summarize what you are saying, ports are allocated based on an arbitrary view of the expert review. When this person will say yes or no too can't be described and will change over time.
>
> If that's how it works, there is not even any grounds for appeal of any given decision. You can't even use precedence as an argument. My view was the IESG has been trying to move to having much more concrete advice for registries that required expert review. If you agree that is about the right summary, then I'm pretty sure I can find plenty of other people that would agree with me that this is not OK. I'm not a fan of the WG could not get consensus on if we should allow A or not so we are just going to let the expert review do whatever they want. If the IETF could not come to consensus on if X  or Y were reasons to deny a registration, then I don't think the expert review should be able to deny a registration due to X or Y.

Cullen,

Apparently you like to twist what I am saying in most negative way and
without considering the checks that are in place.

- I think general guidelines can and should be developed. But other than
high level goals this isn't the document. Here Joe has the start of a
document. But I do think that in long term this guidance may change.

- There is an appeal process where the IESG and then IAB gets to sanity
check the arguments that the reviewer + IANA has given towards the
appealing requestor.

- One can take a assignment request through the IETF process

I hope that we can get consensus on the guidelines, because I think that
would give the reviewers a lot of comfort being able to rely on that
consensus.

Cullen, what are your suggestion for how to improve the document?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com