Subject: RFC 7649 to Historic
From: "Independent Submissions Editor (Eliot Lear)" <[email-masked]>
To: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Cc: The IETF List <[email-masked]>, 'The IESG' <[email-masked]>, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>, Dan York <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2025 09:45:01 +0100
List-Id: "IETF-Discussion. This is the most general IETF mailing list, intended for discussion of technical, procedural, operational, and other topics for which no dedicated mailing lists exist." <ietf.ietf.org>

Hi RFC Editor,

After consulting with the community, the Independent Submissions Editor 
requests that RFC 7649 be reclassified as Historic.

RFC 7649 provides advice on the role of a Jabber scribe at IETF 
meetings.  Jabber is no longer generally used at IETF meetings, and the 
role of a "scribe" has evolved substantially since the publication of 
this memo

Further evolution of these roles should be addressed and documented by 
the IETF. Critique of IETF processes and technical approaches are 
welcomed by the independent submissions editor.

I would like to thank the authors Peter Saint-Andre and Dan York for 
their contribution to the community.

Eliot Lear
Independent Submissions Editor