Re: Consultation on *revised* IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Thu, 04 June 2020 04:41 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Consultation on *revised* IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 16:41:21 +1200
Cc: ietf <ietf@ietf.org>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>

> On 4/06/2020, at 8:10 AM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>

> Hiya,
>
> On 03/06/2020 20:43, Jay Daley wrote:
>> I do not think it is appropriate that we are limited in our strategy
>> to concepts that every reader understands.
>
> Sorry, my point was not that I didn't understand but
> that it was either waffly or indicative of over-reach.

It would be helpful to understand which of those you think it is as they are quite different criticisms.

>> First, I should note that the term "collectively" is
>> something you have added and not something that comes
>> form this document.
>
> Yes, you have implicitly made that (false) assumption.
> I just called it out.
>
> In my experience there is often a significant and real
> difference between what some person perceives to be the
> position/opinion/strategy of the IESG and the reality
> of the situation. An IESG "strategy" could not be that
> were it not the collective consensus of the IESG.

I think you misunderstood my misunderstanding of how you used the term "collectively".  I thought you meant the IESG, IAB etc getting together and collectively agreeing a set of strategic objectives, not each making a collective decision.

Yes I’m sure you’re right there’s a chance that the LLC might misperceive the IESG position/opinion/strategy and I’m equally sure the IESG will say so if that happens.

>> If you want it formally recognised that those bodies cannot have
>> strategic objectives, or cannot have collective strategic
>> objectives, then you should really be taking that point of view to
>> them and asking them to affirm that in a statement rather than trying
>> to impose that view in a second order document such as this.
> That's actually a great example of why your text is wrong.
> If the upshot of your text were that the IESG or IAB went
> running about strategising to keep the LLC happy, then we
> would be entirely in tail-wagging-dog territory. (I can
> totally get why you may think exactly the opposite about
> that though.) In any case, building on an assumption known
> to be false is not only bad planning but also bad logic.

To summarise your two objections, hopefully using your own words accurately:

You don’t think that the LLC strategy should reference the strategic objectives of the IESG, IAB etc because:

1.  By having this, the LLC might push the IESG/IAB into running about strategising

2.  Those bodies cannot, collectively, have an agreed set of such "strategic objectives" at any given moment in the sense meant here.

My response to 1 is that I understand why you think that, though from what little I know of the IESG and IAB they appear to have such a strong sense of purpose, strong personalities and full workload that tail-wagging-dog is a very, very low risk.

My response to 2 is that we just disagree and I don’t detect any support for your position or other indication of a path to resolve this and so I think we need to leave it here.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director