FW: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com Tue, 20 September 2005 09:44 UTC

From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:44:26 +0300
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: FW: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I'm in favor of establishing this new area.

During the past few years the SIP/VoIP/RAI-related work has grown enormously, so that it today forms already a significant proportion of the overall work of the IETF. When that work was integrated under transport area, there were only a couple of WGs, i.e. AVT and MMUSIC. Those have spinned off to various directions, and today we have in addition SIP, SIPPING, SIMPLE, XCON and ECRIT, not to even mention all of the somewhat related WGs that are listed in the proposal below. So, clearly, this work, which was never really only transport, has become too large for the current Transport Area. I think the forming of the new area would improve the synergies of these WGs better thant the current structure.

In addition to this IETF centric perspective, another factor that should be considered is that there is also a significant industry interest in this work. This is clearly visible in the amount of dependencies that other organizations (3GPP, 3GPP2, ATIS, ETSI, OMA, ...) have on the deliverables of SIP* and other related WGs. From that point of view I think the new area would help in facilitation of those interactions, and also it would help the industry and other organizations to focus.

In general I have been worried about the output of SIP* WGs lately, since there is just so much going on without much getting finished. Obviously forming a new area does not fix this, but at least it would give a clearer chance for managing the work. For instance with the new proposed structure it might make sense to even have such things as RAI interim meetings (already there was one for SIP/SIPPING/SIMPLE/XCON, why not take ECRIT, ENUM etc. along next time). I think there are many people in the IETF like myself, who mainly participate (during the meetings and in the mailing lists) in roughly those WGs which are in the RAI proposal, and usually do not attend much else.

Regarding the growth of IETG from 13 to 15 members: I see a risk that it will take more time to get documents through the process if there are more people whose approval is needed. I think this needs some attention, but it should not compromise this initiatigve. On the other hand we have always heard how overloaded the ADs are. So, having some more cycles in the IESG should help in that sense, especially now in the affected areas, i.e. Apps, Transport and RAI.

Regards,
	Markus