RE: Meeting locations (was IETF 62)

dee3@pothole.com Wed, 22 September 2004 03:30 UTC

From: dee3@pothole.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:20:32 -0400
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Meeting locations (was IETF 62)
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

In comparing IEEE and IETF you need to remember that they are radically
different in that IEEE 802 working groups make decisions by formal voting
at physical meetings (or by a formal email letter ballot process with
ballots sent only to voting members who are required to respond) rather
than by mailing list consensus. Furthermore, in IEEE 802, you have no vote
until you have attended enough working group meetings in a short enough
window to qualify as a voting member. You can't even get on an IEEE 802
working group mailing list until you have physically attended at least one
meeting (at least for 802.11). Because of this, travel to IEEE 802
meetings is more crucial. Failing to travel to an IEEE 802 meeting because
it is in a vacation area may mean losing an important vote.

Thanks,
Donald
  Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       dee3@torque.pothole.com
  155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-786-7554(w)
  Milford, MA 01757 USA                   Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com