Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-04.txt

Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com> Wed, 02 April 2008 00:20 UTC

Subject: Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-04.txt
From: Bharat Joshi <bharat_joshi@infosys.com>
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:54:28 +0530
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "rainab@cisco.com" <rainab@cisco.com>, "dward@cisco.com" <dward@cisco.com>, Stig Venaas <venaas@uninett.no>, Mike McBride <mmcbride@cisco.com>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Spencer,

     Thanks for reviewing this document. I shall add clarification you
have asked for in the next revision.

     Please see my response in line.

Thanks,
Bharat

> I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer for
> this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
> http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).
>
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
> may receive.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Spencer
>
> Document: draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-04.txt
> Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
> Review Date: 2008-03-31 (LATE)
> IETF LC End Date: 2008-03-26
> IESG Telechat date: (if known)
>
> Comments: there are a small number of questions I tagged as "Clarity:" in
> the notes below. If this draft is revised, it would be worth looking at
> these questions.
>
> 4.  Overview
>
>    This MIB module contains four tables.  The tables are:
>
>    1.  The Candidate-RP Table, which contains one row for each multicast
>        group address prefix for which the local router is to advertise
>        itself as a Candidate-RP.  This table exists on routers that are
>        configured as Candidate-RP.
>
> Clarity: I'm reading this as "configured to advertise itself as
> Candidate-RP" - right? That seems to be the terminology used in the MIB
> descriptions, and is more clear to me (if I understood correctly here).

Ok. I agree that adding 'configured to' in the statement makes it more
explicit.

> Clarity: There are a decent number of multicast abbreviations that aren't
> expanded on first use. If the document gets respun after Last Call, it would
> be worth making sure these terms are expanded on first use (otherwise the
> RFC Editor has to either ask you or guess).

Ok. I shall expand them on their first usage. If require, I will add
them in the terminology section.

> 5.  Definitions
>
>    pimBsrCandidateRPStatus OBJECT-TYPE
>        SYNTAX     RowStatus
>        MAX-ACCESS read-create
>        STATUS     current
>        DESCRIPTION
>                "The status of this row, by which new entries may be
>                created, or old entries deleted from this table.
>
> Clarity: I'm sorry, but I don't get "status by which new entries may be
> created/old entries deleted" - is that actually how it works? I would have
> thought the status was the side effect of creation/deletion, not how
> creation/deletion actually happens. s/by which new/used to identify when
> new/? but I'm guessing here.

The 'RowStatus' object is used for two purposes. One is to provide the
current status of a Row and another is to create/delete a specific Row.
So this statement looks ok.