This document reviews draft-kowack-rfc-editor-model-v2-00.txt. The document as written starts from a series of premises which have sufficiently large fundamental issues that I do not believe it can be the basis for a consensus call by the IAB on this topic. In Section 1, the document describes the RFC Series in the following way: "The RFC Series is the Internet technical community's official medium, through which it communicates with itself and the rest of the world." In addition to being needlessly grandiose, this statement is simply wrong. Internet technical community members communicate among themselves and to the world in a variety of ways, but the RFC series has not been a primary mode of that communication for many years. In the current model, it documents the outcomes of specific process in the IETF, the IAB, the IRTF, as well as providing an outlet for specific related documents identified by an independent editor. If the bodies above have a document series by which they communicate, it is the internet-draft series, which is fully open and allows anyone to post a draft as a statement in any ongoing conversation. Note, however, that the use of Internet Drafts is largely restricted to statements recognized as under the IETF or IRTF topic areas, and that wide swathes of the Internet technical community use other modes entirely. In addition, the "Note Well" statement and other boilerplate requirements restrict the conversations using the internet-draft mechanism. The draft goes on to propose a complete reorientation of the RSE role put forward in RFC 5260 in a series of changes which it blandly describes as "modest". Two paired statements make this clear: "the RSE role demands the expertise and experience of a senior manager and subject matter expert in technical writing, technical publishing, and technical series development." and "the overall leadership and management of RFC Editor functions must be by the RFC Series Editor - the editorial and publications subject matter and management expert. However, this general leadership must be tempered by two considerations. o The Internet technical community has requirements, processes, and traditions that must be followed by the RSE and across the entire RFC Editor function" As written, this declares the RFC Editor to be the lead of this activity, with this general leadership merely "tempered by" the processes and requirements of the streams which produce the actual output. Contrast this to the text in RFC 4844: "The RFC Editor is an expert technical editor and series editor, acting to support the mission of the RFC Series. As such, the RFC Editor is the implementer handling the editorial management of the RFC Series, in accordance with the defined processes. In addition, the RFC Editor is expected to be the expert and prime mover in discussions about policies for editing, publishing, and archiving RFCs. " The focus in RFC 4844 is support and implementation, with expertise guiding discussion about editing, publishing, and archiving. This document moves this to the general lead of this activity, a change I cannot agree is modest. The document states that this leadership would be "as it is practiced in a typical not-for-profit organization" along with specific community driven practices (seek input, foster volunteers, supervise according to procedures). This is not the correct model for a document series 90 per cent of whose output is standards documents representing hard-won consensus. Those have to be led by the communities producing the documents. The document also describes a change to the RSAG model, which it describes as "marginally expanded". In fact,the RSAG in this document has a major change, buried in Appendix A, section 2. Where the body of the document and RFC 5620 state that the RSAG is not responsible for hiring the RSE, this gives the constituents of the "search and selection committee", which includes 2 members of the RSAG. This number is equivalent to the members provided by all documentation streams (1 to IESG, and 1 split among all others). Since the body of the document states that the RSAG is selected by the RSE, this is a bit of problem. The current text is: The RSE selects members for their experience and interest in the RFC Series as well as in editing and publishing. Outside (non community members) editorial and publishing experts may be members, especially well-known leaders in technical writing and publications. Outside experts must not be more than a minority of full members. In particular, there is no requirement or expectation that RSAG members will be IAB members. The Series Editor proposes RSAG members in consultation with sitting RSAG members; the IAB then confirms and formally appoints those members. This methodology, in which the role of the IAB is to formally appoint rather than select and vet is, in fact, a major change; it moves the RSAG from being an oversight body to being one which is advisory only. The RSAG relationship has, in general, gotten muddier, as has the overall reporting structure for the RSE, who now appears to report to three bodies but to be fully responsible to no one. Though the RSE provides reports to the IAB, the contract is concluded with the IAOC and the result is that the actual mechanism by which an RSE would be managed is unclear: o report to the IAB for general matters and to the IAOC for RSE contract requirements while following community direction. This frankly seems to be deliberate, part of the document's effort to support the RSE acting with very significant autonomy. Perhaps the most telling aspect of the proposal that the RFC Series editor be highly autonomous is this paired text: "To return the RFC Editor to its historical level of independence, this memo recommends creation of an RFC Editor stream." and "An unexpected consequence of the TRSE effort is that most of the changes proposed for the updated model return the RFC Editor to the style and perspective used during the first 40 years of its life, although adapted to today's structure and operation of the technical community." First, I personally felt that the critical piece of independence being maintained from our historical model was an independent stream and an independent stream editor. In the plenary discussion, it was made clear that the RFC Editor stream was seen as important because it allowed the RFC Editor to publish documents about the series without the review and approval of any of the independent streams. That makes no sense to me. The RFC Editor function reports to the IAB, which controls one of the streams; if the RSE does not have the agreement of the IAB for a proposed document, it does not have the level of community support that should be present for publication in an archival series that documents outcomes of our processes. I presume the RFC Editor could still publish I-Ds to solicit that support, and that seems to me personally enough. The document further considers the RSE to have executive authority over matters relating to "internal" issues of the overall RFC editor function. In "Subjects for which discussion does not need to occur", the document lists any issues where: "the matter is strictly one of internal management within the RFC Editor," Given that the RFC Editor function is split, an internal matter might, in fact, be management related to the work of the publication group; this is a seriously different model than where we started with this. To reiterate, I believe the IAB should decline the recommendations in this report as the basis for a community consensus call. A much simpler model in which the reporting structure is clearly from the RSE to the IAB and in which the role is much more clearly coordination among the streams is needed. This document arrogates too much power to the RSE and to an RSAG not notably representative of or responsible to the community in structure. It further creates an executive authority where none is actually required. In my view, previous incumbents in the RFC Editor position have had significant moral authority because they did the day-to-day work and understand a broad swath of the issues as a result. This attempts to recreate that authority at the executive level, presumably as a check on the authority of the bodies the running the individual streams. I believe that this approach is fundamentally flawed.