Re: Basic ietf process question ...

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Thu, 02 August 2012 21:50 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 23:50:06 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <jhildebr@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Basic ietf process question ...
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

Hi Joe,

Many thx for your comments.

Perhaps my intentions were not very well described. Personally I am not
that much stuck on plain XML schema .. it could be expressed in any
language IETF would choose to use. The point is not how to do it .. but
to do it at the moment of bringing new protocol extension.

However for years the same functionality is completely different to
configure using one vendor from other vendor (leave alone that even
within single vendor there are complete different UIs to provision the
same knob).

If anyone is even remotely serious about some form of common network OS
IMHO the first step is to create unified configuration abstraction. The
xml schema for each proto extension would be just a standard based API
for configuration input.

Keep in mind that today routers are configured by scripts from central
management clusters where there are tons of templates which in fact
completely differ from vendor to vendor and their maintenance and
keeping them up to date is a real pain.

Regards,
R.