Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org> Wed, 02 December 2020 21:43 UTC

Subject: Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service
To: Tim Chown <tjc.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, iesg@ietf.org
From: Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 21:42:19 +0000

speaking as someone who does outsourced network / service operations as
a full-time day job:

All services have a cost of delivery.  The cost is difficult to assess
and it's usually more than people want it to be, but it is generally
proportional to several things, including how complex the service is,
how well-run you want to service to be.  There can also be other things,
e.g. how large it needs to scale, what uptime you want to guarantee, etc.

Some of the things that might need to be taken into account for an
itemised cost assessment could include:

- initial planning / design
- initial setup
- Hardware config / management
- Complexity of integration with the rest of the ecosystem
- Software management of service software
- Complexity / integration with the rest of the service ecosystem
- Backups
- DR
- Business overheads (light, wages, hvac, tax, offices, etc)
- Documentation
- Hosting and connectivity
- Monitoring
- Management knowledge communication
- Handling support issues
- Liability (what happens if the wrong data is served, etc)
- TCO of periodic forklift

This list isn't exhaustive, e.g. SLAs, process compliance, security
management, and so forth. There's an endless of things that might or
might not be important to either the service delivery provider or the
consumer.  None of this comes for free because none of this is run on a
charitable basis.  Nor is it run on a string-and-gum basis.

Even with a cost scoping exercise, where does that stop? E.g. if you're
talking about a car, do you just include the cost of the petrol, or do
you also include the annual service costs?  What about depreciation?
One-off repairs?  Interest on loans? Crashes, insurance and
consequential losses?  What about the costs of providing the underlying
infrastructure - roads, bridges and traffic lights?  Environmental
damage?  And so on.  I.e. reductionism isn't going to end you up with
any more of an accurate answer for cars than it is for ftp servers, and
there are more ways of assessing costs than you can shake a stick at.

Nick