Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam-10.txt

Satoshi Futemma <satosi-f@sm.sony.co.jp> Tue, 24 June 2008 20:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:15:30 +0900
From: Satoshi Futemma <satosi-f@sm.sony.co.jp>
To: Black_David@emc.com
Subject: Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam-10.txt
Cc: fluffy@cisco.com, tom.taylor@rogers.com, ietf@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org, avt@ietf.org, itakura@sm.sony.co.jp, andrew@ualberta.net, csp@csperkins.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Dear,

An attachment is the changes of draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam
we propose.

The changes are:

   - The abstract became more clear and added RFC editor note.
   - added the algorithm to calculate priority value of progression
     based order in "Section 3.2"
   - the media type "video/jpeg2000" eppeared in "Section 5" and
     "Section 7".
   - Changed the last sentence in "8. Security Section"

If they are ok, I will submit the document.

Best Regards,

Futemma

Black_David@emc.com wrote:
> I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
> reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
> http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).
>
> Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
> or AD before posting a new version of the draft.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam-10.txt
> Reviewer: David Black
> Review Date: 16 June 2008
> IESG Telechat date: 19 June 2008

> This draft is on the right track, but has open issues,
> described in the review.
>
> Comments:
>
> The authors have only partially addressed the open issues noted in
> the Gen-ART review of the -09 version.  More work is needed:
>
> [1] The review of the -09 version stated: "Section 3.2 doesn't provide
> enough
> information to calculate a packet priority value from layer, resolution
> and
> component values.  In fact the example it gives appears to be simple
> enough
> to also be an example of the component based ordering defined in Section
> 3.5.
> Section 3.2 needs to explain how the priority value is calculated and
> use a
> more complex example to illustrate the results of the calculation."
>
> In my opinion, Section 3.2, while improved, is still not clear enough to
> be interoperably implemented in its current form.
>
> A more complex example is now used, but the text does not state the
> the algorithm used to generate the priority, nor does it provide the
> specific algorithm for the example.
>
> The general algorithm is that the ordering is based on the triple
> <layer, resolution, component> and the minimum priority is 1, so, if
> 	- There are ltotal layers (layer value range is 0 to ltotal-1)
> 	- There are rtotal resolutions (resolution value range is 0 to
> rtotal-1)
> 	- There are ctotal components (component value range is 0 to
> ctotal-1)
> then for a triple <lval, rval, cval>,
> 	- priority = 1 + cval + (ctotal*rval) + (ctotal*rtotal*lval)
> and for the example where ltotal=1, rtotal=2 and ctotal=3,
> 	- priority = 1 + cval + 3*rval
> because lval=0 hence the  ctotal*rtotal*lval  term is zero (3*2*0)
> and hence does not contribute to the priority computation.
>
> [2] The review of the -09 version stated "Section 4.1 contains this
> problematic text:
>
>    An initial value of mh_id MUST be selected randomly between 1 and 7
>    for security reasons."
>
> This has been partially addressed.  While section 2.1 now requires that
> the initial value of mh_id always be zero, the above "problematic text"
> remains, and still needs to be removed from Section 4.1.
>
> In addition, Security Considerations paragraph on mh_id concludes with
> a rather cryptic statement that "Care should be taken to prevent
> [...]

Satoshi Futemma, Ph.D. / satosi-f@sm.sony.co.jp

Network Software Development Dept.,
Common Technology Div., Technology Development Group,
Sony Corporation
5-1-12 Kitashinagawa Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, 141-0001 Japan
Tel. +81-3-5448-3175 / fax. +81-3-5448-6438