Re: [mile] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mile-template-04.txt> (Guidelines for Defining Extensions to IODEF) to Informational RFC

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Thu, 17 May 2012 03:25 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:25:26 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mile] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mile-template-04.txt> (Guidelines for Defining Extensions to IODEF) to Informational RFC
Cc: mile@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>

On 5/16/12 3:53 PM, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Managed Incident Lightweight
> Exchange WG (mile) to consider the following document:
> - 'Guidelines for Defining Extensions to IODEF'
>   <draft-ietf-mile-template-04.txt> as Informational RFC

Although this document does no harm, I have my doubts that the topic
warrants publication of an RFC (and I say that as someone who is
defining some IODEF extensions for use on the XMPP network [1]). Why
would a simple wiki page [2] not suffice?

If we decide than an RFC is needed, I have some more actionable feedback...

1. The document could be construed as assuming that IODEF extensions
will all be defined in Internet-Drafts, that extension namespaces will
be registered with IANA, and even that namespaces will be of the form
'urn:ietf:params:xml:schema:iodef-*'. It might be helpful to clarify the
intended applicability of this document, i.e., merely as helpful
suggestions for authors of Internet-Drafts, not truly as universally
applicable guidelines for defining IODEF extensions.

2. Why is RFC 6545 a normative reference?

3. Given the many comments provided by Martin Dürst, mentioning his
AppsDir review in the Acknowledgements seems appropriate.

4. Some of the text in the appendix seems needlessly detailed (e.g.,
saying that each extension needs to be specified in a subsection, or the
recommendation to include a UML diagram).

5. Why is the list of datatypes in appendix A.4.1 copied from RFC 5070?
A simple reference would do. (I almost said the same about the list in
Section 3, but that one is marginally useful.)

6. Some of the information in this document repeats information from the
RFC style guide and other sources; why?

Peter

[1] http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0268.html

[2] http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/mile/trac/wiki