RE: Call for volunteers for C/C++ API liaison manager

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Thu, 01 May 2014 16:18 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>, IAB <iab@iab.org>, IETF Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Call for volunteers for C/C++ API liaison manager
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 16:18:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Cc: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>

I think this is missing the point. This is not about "When we propose an API in the IETF" because that's not the proposal.

>From what I've seen (I track them to some extent) of how ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 are progressing (having finished C++14, a tidy-up of C++11) _they_ want to create a C++ interface to these things. (Which is, I would guess, likely to be at least in part object-based, not simply function calls.) That would be because people writing C++ programs want to do things that need them, and they would like a standardised way of doing it.

They have then requested input from domain experts (i.e. the IETF) on this. (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 are C++ language experts.) This would end up in an ISO standard (I think probably a Technical Report, not the main C++ standard). If the IETF wanted to it could then reference that (or whatever else is allowed) in an RFC, but that's not ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22's business.

So the question here is whether (and if so how) to assist ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 or not.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687