Contributions (Re: Proposed New Note Well)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 05 January 2016 10:00 UTC

Subject: Contributions (Re: Proposed New Note Well)
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:00:35 +0100

A subject that was heavily promoted in the old Note Well and not at all
covered in the new one is the nature of "contribution".

RFC 3979 section 1 has this text, which I believe actually came from
earlier "note well" versions:

   c. "IETF Contribution": any submission to the IETF intended by the
      Contributor for publication as all or part of an Internet-Draft or
      RFC (except for RFC Editor Contributions described below) and any
      statement made within the context of an IETF activity.  Such
      statements include oral statements in IETF sessions, as well as
      written and electronic communications made at any time or place,
      which are addressed to:

      o  the IETF plenary session,
      o  any IETF working group or portion thereof,
      o  the IESG, or any member thereof on behalf of the IESG,
      o  any IETF mailing list, including the IETF list itself, any
         working group or design team list, or any other list
         functioning under IETF auspices,
      o  the RFC Editor or the Internet-Drafts function (except for RFC
         Editor Contributions described below).

      Statements made outside of an IETF session, mailing list or other
      function, that are clearly not intended to be input to an IETF
      activity, group or function, are not IETF Contributions in the
      context of this document.

People keep being surprised by this - they imagine that they don't have
disclosure obligations in stuff they mentioned on the mike or in a
presentation but wasn't in their draft (they have), or think that
something someone else said at the bar is public information just
because the bar was at an IETF venue (it isn't), or that they can keep
something from triggering licensing obligations by buttonholing the AD
after the meeting (they can't).

Given that this is such a source of misunderstandings, going from laying
out the details to not mentioning the dividing line at all seems like a
larger leap than we should do.

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.