Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com> Thu, 09 July 2009 16:15 UTC

From: james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
Subject: Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 09:15:23 -0700

On Jul 3, 2009, at 08:07, Doug Ewell wrote:

> As always when this discussion occurs, there are at least three
> different issues swirling around:
>
> 1.  ASCII-only vs. UTF-8
> 2.  Plain text vs. higher-level formatting, for text flow and
> readability
> 3.  Whether it is a good idea to include high-quality pictures in RFCs
>
> There are not the same issue, and it would help combatants on both
> sides not to mix them up.

I admire the attempt to separate these issues into orthogonal
concerns, but I don't think it can succeed.

The common aspect of all these issues is the question of whether our
archival format should A) continue to be limited to a string of ASCII
characters formatted for printing with a fixed-width font, or B) if it
should be expanded to include a document archival format that can
preserve font, style and figures.

There is a related but separable topic of discussion once option B) is
open for debate: what precisely should be the set of primary natural
languages used in IETF documents?  Should it continue to be English
only?  I'd very much prefer to see *that* discussion vigorously
deferred while our archival format continues to be the largest
practical obstacle to multilingualism.  I believe there are no
reasonable candidates for archival formats that can preserve font,
style and figures without also providing for localization.

> I don't know where the argument "don't help authors prepare I-Ds
> using the tools of their choice, unless they are open-source" fits
> into this picture.

Compared to the previous two issues, this one is just not so much
important.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering