Re: Consultation on *revised* IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Sat, 06 June 2020 02:14 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Consultation on *revised* IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 14:14:11 +1200
Cc: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>

>>> Thanks again, I’m going to stick with it though.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it's worth taking a step back here and asking what you
>>> think the terms of engagement are on this consultation.
>>>
>>> Your text above seems to imply that you are putting this out for
>>> comment but are the ultimate decider on whether to accept those
>>> comments, as opposed to this requiring community consensus. Is that
>>> in fact your position?
>>
>> The question about consensus is a very complex one.
>
> Hmm. Eric didn't ask for a definition but for an answer.
> I think I objected on exactly the same basis when the
> first email was sent on this topic. But I don't see a
> clear answer below.
>
> Nonetheless I take it from your last statement at the
> end that you do consider that you are the one who decides
> how to handle this text. I think that's a bad call and
> an erroneous one.
>
> Many parts of the putative strategy that are good. But
> there are still bits that IMO require community consensus.
> And for almost all such things, the IESG are the consensus
> caller,

The only two elements of the draft strategy that I am aware of you still objecting to are

- the linkage to IESG/IRSG/IAB strategy; and
- the participant journey

(Notwithstanding your initial objection to the concept of the LLC having a strategy framed this way)

It would be very helpful if you could point to those other elements of the draft strategy where the role of the IESG in calling consensus needs clarification.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director