Re: Blue Sheet Change Proposal

"TS Glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Tue, 15 April 2008 14:49 UTC

From: TS Glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>, "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <wbeebee@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Blue Sheet Change Proposal
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:50:42 -0700
Cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Dean -
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Anderson" <dean@av8.com>
To: "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <wbeebee@cisco.com>
Cc: "IETF Discussion" <ietf@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:28 PM

> Speaking as president of the LPF; not a lawyer but a knowledgeable
> layman.
>
> I think you are correct that the patent issue is a red herring.

No its not.

> The
> patentee has the _right_ (not the obligation) to keep patent application
> contents secret.

Sure but not when they submit that IP to others to get their 'contributed
work product' added into that IP.

So in response to your commentary, "No Dean they do not because that would
constitute an act of fraud by the party Submaringing the Patent in that they
are 'extorting through an apparent agreement as to joint ownership of the
IP' to that newly developed IP. But further since the patent filing itself
is now public there is no concern for public disclosure.

> Failure to keep the secret merely causes them to lose
> the _right_ to trade secret status.

Yes but the public disclosure of an IP issue starts certain clocks running
and this is a the real issue. What that means is that the IETF cannot
process anything with Trade-Secret Status.

> They might want that status in the
> event the patent application is rejected.

But that wouldnt have anything to do with the issue of whether the failure
to disclose IP ownership defrauds the other participants in an IP effort of
their rights to the derivative's and fruit of their own labor.