Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca> Thu, 20 December 2007 14:55 UTC

From: Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:54:53 -0500
To: Tony Hain <alh-ietf@tndh.net>
Cc: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

There is no special signaling to BEHAVE-compliant NATs.
Instead, the client behind the NAT sends a packet to some device on
the public side of the NAT, and this causes the NAT to create state.
This is the way all NATs work today.

Though there are not a lot of NATs today that are 100% BEHAVE
compliant, for each BEHAVE recommendation, there are commercial NATs
that follow that recommendation. So the BEHAVE specifications are
really just a collection of the best current practices of NAT vendors.

Furthermore the STUN, TURN, and ICE protocols do not require any
support at all from the intervening NATs, and are in fact designed to
work with existing NATs, including those that are currently being
used by ISPs to NAT their entire network.

- Philip