Re: APPSDIR review of draft-farrell-decade-ni-07, major design issue (one or two URI schemes)

Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> Sat, 16 June 2012 00:30 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 01:07:08 +0100
From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: APPSDIR review of draft-farrell-decade-ni-07, major design issue (one or two URI schemes)
Cc: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>, "draft-farrell-decade-ni@tools.ietf.org" <draft-farrell-decade-ni@tools.ietf.org>

On 15/06/2012 20:18, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> I think you said somewhere in this exchange, nih:
>> is intended to be used to confirm some information that you already
>> have.  As such, I'm not seeing how it can be said to identify a resource.
>
> I'm checking with others since I'm not entirely familiar with
> all that they want from nih, (so you might be right, or maybe
> not;-)
>
> As far as I do know now, the idea is that nih could be useful
> when values are to be read over the phone. I agree the listener
> wouldn't need the scheme, but I think the argument is that it'd
> help the speaker (or speaker's UA) to highlight the right thing.
> I'd agree if you argued that that's not the most compelling
> reason, but maybe there's more.
>
> In terms of identifying a resource, I don't get the
> comment, since the information is similar to that in an ni,
> so it does identify whatever it is matches that hash.

I meant to say that I don't see how it is being *used* to identify a resource -
as you point out, it clearly *can* so identify, as much as ni: can.

What I'm trying to get to is why one might need a URI, rather than just a
string, in situations where nih: might be used.  One of the useful features of
URIs is that they provide a uniform way of referencing things that may be
accessed or "baptized" by a variety of different mechanisms or structures,
decoupling the identification mechanism from the details of what is done with
the thing identified.  The particular use of confirming information one already
has doesn't seem to fit this model of separating use of some value from the form
of identification and/or access mechanism.

#g