Re: DMARC and ietf.org

"John Levine" <johnl@taugh.com> Wed, 20 July 2016 11:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:32:14 -0000
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: DMARC and ietf.org

>We know that outgoing alias email still has the problem.  The Secretariat is did some experiments with some additional headers
>(Resent-*) to alias mail.  They were not able to determine whether this headers helped destination servers or not.

I can promise you they don't.  There is a thing called ARC under
development that is intended to undo most of the DMARC damage.  The
large mail systems and the Mailman developers are all aware of it.

Until then, there's a range of workarounds that range from bad to
really unpleasant:

http://wiki.asrg.sp.am/wiki/Mitigating_DMARC_damage_to_third_party_mail

The most common (and in my view one of the worst) is to rewrite the
From: line to use the list's address, sometimes just addresses with
DMARC problems, sometimes for all addresses.  For this audience I
expect I don't have to explain why that's bad.

On my lists (which are in sympa rather than mailman, but with the
same issues) I do a per-author rewrite on DMARC'ed addresses, e.g.

 From: Ms Meyer <marissa@yahoo.com>

turns into

 From: Ms Meyer <marissa@yahoo.com.dmarc.fail>

That makes DMARC happy, and I set up forwards good for a few days
so replies generally work.  (Yes, dmarc.fail is a real domain.)

I'd be happy to talk to whoever maintains our Mailman to help do the
same thing.  Mine is implemented as a small shim between the list
software and the sendmail program, with no patches to the list manager
code.

R's,
John