Re: Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> Fri, 10 September 2010 01:43 UTC

Subject: Re: Registration of media type application/calendar+xml
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:44:07 -0400
To: Steven Lees <Steven.Lees@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Cyrus Daboo (cyrus@daboo.name)" <cyrus@daboo.name>, ietf-types@iana.org, Douglass Mike <douglm@rpi.edu>, IETF@IETF.ORG

This was a bad idea when it was first proposed (if I recall correctly) around ten years ago, and it's still a bad idea.

Whenever you define an alternate representation of something, there will inevitably be skew between the original representation and the alternate representation.

This remains true even if you define mapping rules between the two (as you do in this document).   The problem with mapping rules, which I believe I pointed out around ten years ago, is that the rules are specific to a particular version of iCalendar.  If either iCalendar is extended, or the XML representation is extended, there's no guidance as to how to map the extended format into the other representation.

In addition, defining a new calendar format harms interoperability even if you can keep the two representations in sync.  The reason is that it's no longer sufficient for a calendar application to support just one representation of calendar data.  In order to reliably interoperate, it must at least able to read both, and it probably needs to be able to write both.  That, and when sending calendar data to other applications, either both representations must be sent, or some way of negotiating which format to use is needed, or the user must be asked to choose which format to export.

In summary, this is a thoroughly bad idea which can only do harm.

Please withdraw this proposal, or at least withdraw the types application until the proposal has enjoyed more review.

Keith