Re: Proposed IESG Statement Regarding RFC Errata for IETF Sream RFCs

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Thu, 17 April 2008 15:46 UTC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: Re: Proposed IESG Statement Regarding RFC Errata for IETF Sream RFCs
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:45:43 -0700
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, iaoc@ietf.org, iab@iab.org, iesg@ietf.org, IETF Announcement list <ietf-announce@ietf.org>, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

I can assure you, I at least was anticipating that the IESG (and other
people handling errata) would be doing *more* work in classifying
errata if we have the three categories.  The goal as I see it is to
avoid presenting 50 errata on an RFC to a user, without any sorting or
focus, when only three of them are crucial to interoperability.  If we
overwhelm implementors with more than a page worth of errata, most of
which are junk, implementors will be well justified in ignoring errata.

An important part of the errata handling, therefore, is to make the
difference clear to the implementor.  When an implementor clicks
"Errata" for an RFC, they should see the short-list of crucial errata
and at the end, a link to "Other possible errata" (or other wording).
With that kind of interface, I don't think readers of errata need to
care about the exact difference between categories: the essential
difference, to them, is which ones have been brought to their
immediate attention.

Lisa