Re: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits (was RE: Review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-09)

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Wed, 12 April 2017 11:52 UTC

Subject: Re: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits (was RE: Review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-09)
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:52:02 +0200
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits@tools.ietf.org" <draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits@tools.ietf.org>
To: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>

Hi Nico, hi Stephen, hi all,

replying to this mail because that seems to be the right point to comment on the intent of the draft (and maybe also why it was presented in tsv-area).

Yes, this draft could be phrased in a more neutral way, however, this draft is in an early state and the author received this feedback already in tsv-area. I’m sure they will incorporate this in the next version.

But more important to say is that the intent is not to describe the good and the bad or the pros and the cons. This would be a completely different document. The intent of this document is actually to describe the benefits in the sense of why do operator deploy those middleboxes. Deploying and operating middleboxes costs money (and induces complexity, as described below in this mail) but there are still perceived benefits for operators otherwise the would not go through the hassle. Understanding these benefits is the first step to have a discussion on how to replace current practices as performed by middleboxes today with either end-to-end schemes, or at least middleboxes that are less intrusive or maybe find a way to provide in-network services with user consensus, or whatever… This document can be seen as input from operators to the IETF community. Again, I agree that any language that indicates any request to the IETF community to support any of these current practices should be removed. But I also believe it’s easy to misinterpret the current text if that’s what you already have in mind when you read the doc. And again, this is work in progress and that is not the indention.

Further, regarding the points listed below on problems with middbleboxes. This would be a completely different document, which could be valuable as well. However, here the focus would be providing information to the operators and I really wouldn’t want to mix this up. Also I believe especially for such a document the current document could be good input as a basis to refer to when discussing specific problems of specific functions.

The more constructive next step I would like to see, where this document from my point of view also provides the basis for the needed input, is to talk about mechanisms that realize the same benefits in an encrypted world, hopefully with less middbleboxes, and then point the operators at these documents, rather then just saying: what you do is bad, please stop.

Mirja