Re: [rfc-i] IAB Seeks Feedback on Independent Submissions Editor

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sat, 14 September 2019 18:57 UTC

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 14:57:34 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
cc: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>, RFC Interest <rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org>
Subject: Re: [rfc-i] IAB Seeks Feedback on Independent Submissions Editor
References: <156814308493.22374.12964350262219210658.idtracker@ietfa.amsl.com> <e9a47208-c847-85a3-ba1b-2135da1e1b1b@nthpermutation.com> <CA+9kkMAeuokjeraHuL2KJt8REqhxnR2Gow90bZgeazV6GEN78A@mail.gmail.com> <c182bdf6-f592-b512-32ba-6a439f03c16f@nthpermutation.com> <CA+9kkMAFGe5pFMWJnbLP1gKT1KGm50faQqWc1_bViDPnib9oSQ@mail.gmail.com> <320B79B1F7F7631266F4C8D5@PSB> <CA+9kkMAGW=RhCmoF=-MgsrNn_cmmYJoZ22-kNRJwwQX6ZEJujg@mail.gmail.com> <825987F9-B4DF-48F3-9A8B-6DAFC9AF1AF5@comcast.net> <1d7947d4-a2e3-967f-35fb-a14b135a5e16@cs.tcd.ie> <4645f25c-9f9f-2c4f-97c4-76909a2cdae5@comcast.net>

Let me add, essentially from my earlier note but Mike's format
and style of analysis:

Strategy 3A:  Extend the current ISE's term for a fixed amount
(preferably 24 months because going through these exercises very
often incurs it own cost and potential collateral damage) now;
gather feedback ("review comments" becomes an incorrect
description) after the RSE issues are resolved, or in progress
to being resolved.

	 POGS: 100% (ISE is simply reappointed now and the
	 feedback is forward-facing and presumably helpful to the
   ISE as advertised but not about evaluation or renewal)
   Cost:  Cost to community to provide comments; cost to
   IAB to collate them and provide feedback to the ISE.

I'm ok with either this or Mike's 2 or 3, but this would seem to
combine the best features of both if the IAB and/or the ISE
believe that a formal effort to collect feedback would be
helpful.

best,
 john

--On Saturday, September 14, 2019 13:23 -0400 Michael StJohns