Re: What I've been wondering about the DMARC problem

ned+ietf@mauve.mrochek.com Mon, 21 April 2014 18:54 UTC

From: ned+ietf@mauve.mrochek.com
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:42:25 -0700
Subject: Re: What I've been wondering about the DMARC problem
To: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superuser@gmail.com>
Cc: Jim Fenton <fenton@bluepopcorn.net>, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>, Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>

> > > Why is that poor advice?  It's not uncommon for an MTA receiving mail to
> > > confirm that the message is replyable, at least insofar as an A and MX
> > are
> > > available for whatever comes after the "@".
> >
> > It's outrageously poor advice, for the simple reason that there's all
> > kinds of
> > legitimate email that's sent for all kinds of different reasons that you
> > don't
> > want people to be able to reply to. And the sooner they get a failure when
> > they
> > try and reply, the better.
> >
> > As such, the ability to reply to the RFC5322.From tells you almost nothing
> > about its legitimacy.
> >
> > It's yet another case where a failure to consider the multiple semamtics
> > field like RFC5322.From has, and designing to a subset of those designs,
> > ends up screwing things up.
> >

> If you say so, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

What planet are you on? I get mail with intentionally invalid From: fields all
the time. The domain usuall (but not always) exists, but the mailbox returns an
error.

I also get mail that says something like "this goes to a mailbox that's
unmonitored" somewhere in the message. But rather less of that.

> Is
> that still a currently-used tactic?  Most of the examples I can think of
> involve a valid address that produces an automated response when someone
> replies, rather than using something that is completely unreachable.

Autoresponders for such things produce blowback spam. Not good. If the mailbox
is valid, it's usually a black hole.

Indeed, while I cannot talk about the details, I know there was a lawsuit
against an ISP that was doing this sort of checking very aggressively and
blocking lots of legitimate email. The ISP lost and was forced to remove this
check.

> I seem to recall common use of From: field validation back when that
> capability was introduced into open source sendmail as an anti-spam tactic,
> though it was never supported by the vendor directly.  Maybe it's less
> common now.

A lot less common. See above.

				Ned