Re: Review of draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-07

Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com> Fri, 20 June 2008 19:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:59:47 -0700
From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>
To: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
Subject: Re: Review of draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-07
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org, secdir@mit.edu, draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

At Thu, 29 May 2008 07:51:02 -0500,
Mary Barnes wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for you review and comments.  My responses are embedded below
> [MB].
>
> Mary.

Well, it alleviates my concern about the security question, but it
reinforces my concern about the completeness of this specification.
Unless I'm missing something, this is a major normative dependency
on draft-winterbottom-geopriv-location-deref? I'm not sure we can
assess this protocoal with that reference unbound.

>    It could also be useful for a VPN device to serve as a LIS for other
>    location configuration options such as Dynamic Host Configuration
>    Protocol (DHCP)[23] or Link Layer Discovery Protocol - Media Endpoint
>    Discovery (LLDP-MED) [27].  VPN devices that serve as a LIS may
>    acquire their own location using HELD.

Yes, I think this is an improvement.

> S 5.1.
>    o  The HELD protocol must provide authentication, confidentiality and
>       protection against modification per Section 10.3.
>
> Are you talking about HELD, which doesn't seem to have these features,
> or about the transport protocol? Also, authentication for who? Based on
> what model?
>
> [MB] Per your subsequent response to Hannes on this point, I will change
> that bullet to read:
>     o  The HELD protocol REQUIRES that the underlying transport provide
> authentication, confidentiality and
>        protection against modification per Section 10.3.

Agreed.

> S 6.5.
> I'm having trouble keeping straight two kinds of URIs:
>
> - URIs that a Device uses to get its own LI.
> - LbyR references that the LIS hands out.
>
> This text seems to imply that an LIS can hand out a helds:
> URI. Is that *also* the URI that a Device derferences?
>
> [MB] Yes, the helds: URI that a device receives in a locationResponse is
> the URI that a device would dereference. But, it's important to note
> that the LIS does not have to return a helds: URI - other URIs may also
> be used per the text in section 6.5. [/MB]

Hmm... Then I think this needs some explanation in the main text.

> S 6.5.1.
>
>    A "locationURI" SHOULD NOT contain any information that could be used
>    to identify the Device or Target.  Thus, it is RECOMMENDED that the
>    "locationURI" element contain a public address for the LIS and an
>    anonymous identifier, such as a local identifier or unlinked
>    pseudonym.
>
> 1. This seems like it should be clearer about what is desired.
>    In particular it's not just "identify" but also "link".
>    Also this needs to be clarified to indicate the implications
>    of idetntifiction by position.
>
> 2. Shouldn't this be MUST strength?
>
> [MB] This isn't a MUST strength because we had WG discussion/consensus
> that we can't mandate LIS behavior. We can make recommendations, but a
> LIS may not necessarily follow them.  I'm not entirely clear on your
> first point as far as "identification by position".  [/MB]

I mean that knowing where someone is with high enough resolution gives
a lot of information about their identity. For instance, if you know
that someone is at the AP associated with my house, it seems pretty
likely it's me.

> Does this say somewhere what "helds" actually means? I see the
> definitition of the URI, but it doesn't say what the underlying
> transport is, as far as I can tell. Given a "helds:" URI, what am I
> supposed to do with it?
> [MB] I will add something like the following to section 8. Also, we have
> discussion on the WG mailing list and we will be adding the basic held:
> URI schema, as well:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg05567.html
> OLD:
>    This section defines the schema for a helds: URI.
> NEW:
>    This section defines the schema for a helds: URI for TLS connections.

The concern I have is more fundamental. This section doesn't say
that helds: uses HTTP at all? I assume this is the protocol
in S 9, but this doesn't say so, nor does the next section.

> S 9.
> OK and here's how I get confusied about the two types of URI,
> since this is an HTTP binding, but there's no corresponding
> URI.
> [MB] The thread above relates to this point and your next.
> On this specific point, we will be defining a held: URI along with the
> helds: URI.  [/MB]
>

>    The implementation of HTTP as a transport mechanism MUST implement
>    TLS as described in [RFC2818].

I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing this. If you want to
send a more complete section, I'll try to tell you if I think
this addresses my concerns.

> Is this MUST implement or MUST use? Don't the next two sentences
> imply MUST use?
>
> [MB] Per the thread above, that text does need some clarification for
> consistency. It should be
>      MUST "implement" and not MUST "use", so I would propose the
> following change:
> OLD:
>    The implementation of HTTP as a transport mechanism MUST implement
>    TLS as described in [RFC2818].  TLS provides message integrity and
>    privacy between Device and LIS.  The LIS MUST use the server
>    authentication method described in [RFC2818]; the Device MUST fail a
>    request if server authentication fails, except in the event of an
>    emergency.
> NEW:
>    The implementation of HTTP as a transport mechanism MUST implement
>    TLS as described in [RFC2818].  TLS provides message integrity and
>    privacy between Device and LIS.

privacy->confidentiality. Also, only if the right cipher suiotes
are used.

>    The LIS MUST implement the server
>    authentication method described in [RFC2818]. When TLS is used,
>    the Device SHOULD fail a request if server authentication fails,
>    except in the event of an emergency.
>
> Does that address your concerns?

Why did this become a SHOULD when it was a MUST?

> [MB] Yep. [/MB]
>
>    between Device and LIS.  The LIS MUST use the server
>    authentication method described in [RFC2818]; the Device MUST fail a
>    request if server authentication fails, except in the event of an
>    emergency.
>
> This is incomplete, because 2818 assumes the presence of a URI to
> compare against. Where does that come from?
>
> How is client authentication supposed to work here?
>
> [MB] Per Hannes response, the device (client) gets the URI of the LIS
> (server) using LIS discovery procedures.

Sure, but what are the contents of that URI? Where is it defined?

> S 10.3.
>    o  The network SHOULD have mechanisms that protect against IP address
>       spoofing, such as those defined in [RFC3704].
>
> Is this WG really in a position to levy a SHOULD level requirement
> for network ingress filtering? Recall that this is really a global level
> technology. Or do you mean something else?
>
> [MB] Per Richard's response on this thread, the IP address spoofing
> recommendation is due to HELD using the devices IP address as the
> identifier for the device. In this case it is important to have a
> recommendation for IP address spoofing. I think the paragraph prior to
> those bullets appropriately qualifies the context of that
> recommendation.
> [/MB]

I can't say I really agree with this assertion about the qualification.
This still looks to me like a general levy on the access network.

-Ekr