Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

"Doug Ewell" <doug@ewellic.org> Sun, 12 July 2009 23:42 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:42:36 -0600

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh at izb dot knu dot ac dot kr> wrote:

> Already, above, Douglas pointed out for your comments correctly. RFC
> format is different from a market share format by the purpose. Do you
> have been think about the word "compatibility" and "standard"? Here is
> IETF, not a market.. ;;

This thread has been headed down the wrong path from the outset, as soon
as Tony Hain wrote on July 1:

> An alternative would be for some xml expert to fix xml2rfc to parse
> through the xml output of Word. If that happened, then the
> configuration options described in RFC 3285 would allow for wysiwyg
> editing, and I would update 3285 to reflect the xml output process. I
> realize that is a vendor specific option, but it happens to be a
> widely available one.

and Douglas replied by going off on Word:

> Word's closed code is continuously changing.   Availability of this
> closed application depends upon OS compatibility and version
> regressions.   Both are moving targets.  In addition, Word formats
> permit inclusion of potentially destructive scripts within highly
> flexible and obfuscating structures.

Nobody in this thread has suggested publishing RFCs or distributing I-Ds
in any native Microsoft Word format.  The only thing Tony suggested was
to "fix xml2rfc" to convert XML documents generated by Word into the
standard format for RFCs and I-Ds, just as xml2rfc already converts XML
documents written in the RFC 2629(bis) format into the standard format
for RFCs and I-Ds.  I modified that, along the course of the thread, to
suggest that a separate "word2rfc" tool might be a more sensible option.

To the extent the .doc format is "highly flexible" -- which isn't really
true anyway; it's been rather stable since 1997, and the new XML-based
format is called .docx -- I can see that as an obstacle for someone
writing such a conversion tool.  But I challenge anyone to find the
slightest suggestion in this thread that we should publish IETF
documents directly in Word format.  Let's at least argue the same point,
folks.

http://www.ewellic.org