Re: The notion of "fast tracking" drafts

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Sat, 15 December 2012 14:59 UTC

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 14:58:34 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: The notion of "fast tracking" drafts
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Hiya,

On 12/14/2012 11:09 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been trying to say out of this because I think most of the
> suggestions are better carried out by AD-encouraged experiments
> and reports to the rest of us on effectiveness rather than by
> long discussions in the community about details and the costs of
> an unnecessary consensus process.

That's a defensible opinion that I don't share. I'd say
s/most/many/ above would be better, but also think that we
ought try break this logjam where everything that touches
on process has to involve a gigantic debate with all the
usual suspects. (I don't foresee success in breaking that
logjam, but do think we ought not let it prevent us trying
things.)

I also think that since my proposal has a corner case where
a WG chair gets to put a draft on the IESG telechat agenda
that that ought only be done after some form of IETF LC.

> However, since I gather we are pushing (or being pushed) down
> this path, let me suggest that approval of an IETF spec,
> especially a standards-track one, has (or should have) elements
> of all of the following:

Luckily my draft says that: "All other criteria for Proposed
Standard or Experimental need to be met as usual." So I've no
idea how the text below is relevant.

Cheers,
S.