Re: Stockholm airport

Mans Nilsson <mansaxel@besserwisser.org> Sat, 18 July 2009 22:07 UTC

Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:57:30 +0200
From: Mans Nilsson <mansaxel@besserwisser.org>
To: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com>
Subject: Re: Stockholm airport
Cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>

Subject: Stockholm airport Date: Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 01:46:06PM -0400 Quoting Robert Moskowitz (rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com):
> I just got approval to attend IETF, and I am getting 2 airports for
> Stockholm.
>
> Which is the one to use?

As others have mentioned, there are several. Ryan Air uses Skavsta (NYO
/ ESKN) and Västerås (VST / ESOW). Those are fairly remote; count on
several hours of bus transit.

Absolutely closest is Stockholm Bromma (BMA / ESSB) but it is only
serviced by a few international carriers, and only from one source
(Brussels). It is mainly domestic / GA.

The one most used is as others have mentioned Stockholm Arlanda (ARN /
ESSA) which is used by all major carriers and serves the most
destinations. It is located some 40 km north of Stockholm, and transfer
to and from it is plentiful. Cary promised some text, but I'll write
anyway.

1. Taxi.
   Expect to pay no more than SEK 500. Reputable taxi companies have
   fixed prices around that. I prefer Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir, and
   Taxi 020.

2. High-speed direct train Arlanda Express.
   Its Stockholm terminus is a mere 3 minutes walk from the conference hotel.
   Return tickets at around SEK 460:-
   https://www.arlandaexpress.com:443/default.aspx?page=3&

3. Airport coach service Flygbussarna.
   A five minute walk from the hotel when in Stockholm.
   Return ticket SEK 199:-. Tickets on the buses only payable by credit card.
   http://www.flygbussarna.se/Default.aspx?lang=EN

4. Public transport. From Arlanda to town:

	You CAN'T buy a ticket on the bus!

   a. Get a ticket. Locate Arlanda Visitor Center in Terminal 5 and
      tell them you want a SL ticket to Stockholm, via bus 583 etc. I
      think they sell a strip of 16 tokens for SEK 180:- which is good
      for 4 single trips to or from the airport. They  sell the 7 days
      card too, which is a very wise choice if you expect to use the public
      transport at all during the week. Price for the card is SEK 260:-
      Also ask where the 583 stops. As a courtesy to the more expensive forms of
      transfer, the 583 is hidden so as to not appeal to much ;-)
   b. Locate the bus stop for bus no 583, destination "Märsta Station". 583x
      might work too, but make sure that the destination is Märsta.
   c. Get on, and get off after some 20 minutes at the Märsta Station
      end stop. (You can't go too far unless you are on the wrong
      direction.)
   d. At the station, get on the commuter train for Stockholm
      (direction Södertälje). The trains and buses match in time, so
      you have something like 5-8 minutes to get off the bus and on the
      train.  Plenty, it is just a 100 metre walk.
   e. Get off at Stockholm Central, just after station Karlberg. The
      hotel is just 7 minutes away by foot. Get out of the platform  in
      the north end, at the rear of the train. Much easier.

On tickets: They are stamped by the driver in the beginning of each
trip (on buses) or by platform access people in booths before getting
on the platform. Make sure to keep the ticket. Controls happen. Also,
the ticket is vaild one hour from stamping time, and will be amendable
by new stamping when changing to a new means of transport within the hour.
The one-week card is easier, magnetic stripe or RFID.

--
Måns Nilsson