Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Sat, 17 September 2005 07:02 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:02:25 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, IETF Chair wrote:
> The RAI Area is seeded with existing working groups from the Transport
> and Applications Area: SIP, SIPPING, XCON, SIMPLE, GEOPRIV, ECRIT, ENUM,
> IPTEL, MEGACO, MMUSIC, IEPREP, SPEECHSC, and SIGTRAN.  A good rule of
> thumb for the incorporation of new work into RAI, as opposed to
> Transport or Applications, is that the work in question has major goals
> supporting instant interpersonal communication or its infrastructure.
> For example, they can range from applications to help users make
> decisions about how best to communicate using presence services, to
> session signaling protocols and emergency call routing solutions, to
> work on the "layer five" issues for Internet telephony.

I'm generally sympathetic to this effort.  It would probably help
focus the transport area (and apps to a degree as well), both for
real-time and "other" WGs.  It might also help in getting more people
interested in AD positions when the load is smaller and the
responsibilities more focused (e.g., SIP folks might not be interested
in other transport business; "other transport folks" might not be so
enthusiastic about SIP).

Maybe SIMPLE (from apps area) would also fit in this area?  At least
from an external point of view, it seems rather close..

I'm not personally so worried about the potential increase of DISCUSS
ballots.  My personal recollection is that the transport ADs have
generally been rather focused on the transport business in their
comments, and evaluating the documents from the perspective of the
area is very useful.  The more focused the areas are, the better
chances we have of better and more focused review.