RE: Proposed Revisions to IETF Trust Administrative Procedures

"Ed Juskevicius" <edj@nortel.com> Tue, 08 April 2008 20:30 UTC

Subject: RE: Proposed Revisions to IETF Trust Administrative Procedures
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:30:09 -0400
From: Ed Juskevicius <edj@nortel.com>
To: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
Cc: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Leslie wrote:

> Giving the Trust a chair is at least a step towards acknowledging
> it as a separate organization ...

I suppose you could interpret things this way, but that is not my view.
Since its creation back in December 2005, all meetings of IETF Trustees
have been convened and chaired by the IAOC Chair.  As such, I think we
have always had execute an administrative role of chairing IETF Trust
meetings, and we've generally referred to that person as the Trust Chair
in minutes and on the IETF Trust website.

The recent posting of some new words for the Trust Administrative
Procedures was an attempt to bring that document up to date, to reflect
a desire amongst the current IAOC to load share the running of IAOC
meetings and IETF Trust meetings by having two different people convene
those meetings, and drive progress.  That's it.  Our intent is
absolutely not to encourage mission creep.

The above being said, it is quite clear from the excellent comments
posted by several people on this topic that the Trustees have more work
to do before the job of revising the text on the Administrative
Procedures document is done.  For example,  John Klensin commented on
some of the text in paragraph 12 that says "If at any time the IAOC
ceases to exist, the Trustees then in office shall remain in office
...".  That text is not new nor a proposed change to any existing Trust
procedure.  Those words are original text from December 2005.  I am
happy John took note of them in this round of discussions, as I don't
think they exactly express what the Trustees intended for this clause to
say.

Best Regards,

Ed Juskevicius