Re: Interim step on meetings site feedback for sites currently under active consideration

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Mon, 18 April 2016 18:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:53:45 -0700
Subject: Re: Interim step on meetings site feedback for sites currently under active consideration
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@gmail.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

On Mon, April 18, 2016 10:41 am, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 4/18/16 9:09 AM, Dan Harkins wrote:
>>But
>> I think these issues should be balanced with the overall benefit
>> that the IETF World Tour provides.
>
> As I've said repeatedly, I don't think the world tour actually
> does bring much benefit.  I'm very hopeful that some of the
> South Americans who attended their first IETF meeting because
> it was held in Buenos Aires will continue to participate (as in:
> bring in work and participate in ongoing work, and not as in: sit
> in meetings) but historically that has not been the case.  I also
> think that the world tour tends to have the unintended side-effect
> of overemphasizing the importance of meetings to our process.

  Perhaps, but the idea that bringing one's family along for a
vacation should have any bearing on venue selection seems to
distort the whole reason we have meetings in the first place.

  Let's not go to places that throw gay people off of tall buildings,
and chops the heads of atheists off. Singapore, for all its faults
and petty totalitarianism, is not that place. On the other hand,
if we're gonna go full Social Justice Warrior, let's not go to
Copenhagen because the Danes take all the money and jewelry of
refugees fleeing war and oppression that try to resetting in Denmark.

  Dan.