Re: What is Ant's Fit Protocol?

Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it> Mon, 23 January 2017 11:27 UTC

Subject: Re: What is Ant's Fit Protocol?
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 12:27:29 +0100

Thanks a lot for your analysis.

I had missed that the company was bought by Garmin.  That fact dwarfs any
argument about revenues originating from SDK licenses, as a reason to restrict
protocol specifications.

Snapshot from D00001578_FIT2_Fitness_Module_Datasheet_Rev1.3.pdf, reproduced
under fair use exception to copyright law.At a first glance, both SDK and
protocol specifications seem to be concerned with the (binary) file format and
ways to encode/decode relevant data.  Lower levels, as shown in the image
beside, are not discussed.  I don't think Garmin fear that a competitor would
gain an unfair advantage if they openly published that part of the FIT protocol
and the related SDK source code.  Rather, an increased availability of
compatible software packages could foster device usability.  Assuming that
Garmin's core business is selling devices --not software licenses-- why do they
keep such a restrictive license?  I hope not just to save lawyers' fees...

Sic venit IoT

Ale