RE: Last Call: <draft-farrell-decade-ni-07.txt> (Naming Things with Hashes) to Proposed Standard

Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu> Tue, 03 July 2012 12:03 UTC

From: Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu>
To: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-farrell-decade-ni-07.txt> (Naming Things with Hashes) to Proposed Standard
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 12:04:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.2.1]
Cc: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

Hi Martin,

thanks for the review and advice.

I'd agree that the "confirmation use case" should be highlighted (described better) . Will do that by adding some text along the lines you mentioned to the intro.

How about this:
----
In addition, we also define a ".well-known" URL equivalent, and a way to include a hash as a segment of an HTTP URL, as well as a binary format for use in protocols that require more compact names.  Moreover, we define a human-speakable text form that allows for reading out (and understanding) names so that they can be transferred over voice connections, which can be used for verifying the presence of an adequate hash or key information.
----

As to the detailed suggestions, I don't think it is really necessary to rename 'nih' to 'fingerprint' and to get rid of "Human-speakable" as a description for it. In the end, those URIs are essentially "human-speakable" -- so that they can be used for confirming the presence/absence of resources.

I don’t like 'fingerprint' as a scheme identifier, because a) those URIs, unlike PK fingerprints, actually contain the complete hash information and b) because it does not convey the relationship to 'ni'. I think it's fine to stick to 'nih' here.

I agree that the nid separators can be useful. Would be OK for me to still add them.

Thanks,
Dirk