Re: IETF 108 will be an online meeting

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sat, 16 May 2020 04:22 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 00:22:32 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: IETF 108 will be an online meeting

Alissa and others who were part of this decision,

Like others, I think it is the right decision.  I appreciate the
professionalism with which the options were considered and the
fact that the decision is being made now rather than held until
the last minute.   So thanks.

I assume a meeting schedule of up to five hours a day for all
five days implies that WGs (as well as BOFs and the plenary)
will meet.  Because I continue to be concerned about the impact
of online meetings on cross-area review and general
cross-fertilization of ideas, I'd like to suggest that, to the
extent possible, those of us who are IETF participants but not
part of the overworked and overscheduled leadership try to block
all of that time out and try to sit in on at least one or two
WGs we have not been actively following in the hope of learning
something interesting and possibly bringing in an additional
perspective.  I think that needs to be a community
responsibility, not an IESG one, but, to the extent possible,
perhaps scheduling might try to keep opportunities for that kind
of broader involvement in mind.

Again, thanks.

And, Jordi, let me add my words of thanks to those of other for
how you have dealt with this, now and in recent weeks, and also
join them in expressing the hope that we can get Madrid back on
the calendar soon.

Stay safe and well everyone.
   john

--On Thursday, May 14, 2020 17:07 -0400 IETF Chair