RE: BitTorrent (Was: Re: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should beon WG to fix it)

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Fri, 16 September 2005 13:40 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:39:55 -0700
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Scott W Brim <sbrim@cisco.com>
Cc: Michael Thomas <mat@cisco.com>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: BitTorrent (Was: Re: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should beon WG to fix it)
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Wouldn't it be good if an ISP could install a machine that would
function as a local head end BitTorrent cache?

There are probably multiple folk on my comcast drop who are viewing the
same feeds from CNN and Crooks and Liars etc. Peer to Peer is not the
optimal way to support this but it is the optimal way to bootstrap.

This is of course leading to a discussion where someone says 'you want
to work out the optimal routing path, that's hard' and someone else says
'I thought we were meant to be the ones with brains the size of a
planet'.

Don't bother with optimal, just do SRV lookups on the reverse DNS. The
network operator can do the optimal cache placement and use the reverse
DNS to advertise the correct location.