RE: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

"Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk> Tue, 17 June 2008 17:31 UTC

From: Debbie Garside <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>
To: 'Brian E Carpenter' <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, 'Pete Resnick' <presnick@qualcomm.com>
Subject: RE: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:50:02 +0100
Cc: 'John C Klensin' <john-ietf@jck.com>, iesg@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Not being a expert on this but having briefly read the documents in
question, I agree with Brian.  This is not editorial. I would also add that
to go against an IETF BCP on the grounds of "well we have done so already
historically" does not make an argument for continuing to do so; errors
should be corrected when found, not endorsed.  If we are to pick and choose
which RFC's/BCP's we will take notice of what is the point of
standardization? On the face of things, and with my little knowledge, I
would say that the person within the IESG who has invoked the DISCUSS is
quite correct.

Feel free to try to change my mind.

Best regards

Debbie Garside