Re: WG Review: Stay Home Meet Only Online (shmoo)

S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com> Sat, 27 June 2020 12:37 UTC

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 05:30:51 -0700
To: iesg@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
From: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Subject: Re: WG Review: Stay Home Meet Only Online (shmoo)

Dear Internet Engineering Steering Group,
At 09:20 AM 26-06-2020, The IESG wrote:
>A new IETF WG has been proposed in the General Area. The IESG has not made
>any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
>provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the

I would like to thank Mr Kaduk for taking the time to respond to my
comment [1] about the proposed charter.

I read an extract of a book about "shmoo" after seeing a comment [2]
about it.  The cultural reference to class issues is quite
interesting for an organization which advertizes itself as a "large
open international community".  The proposed charter was discussed on
a mailing list which is described as: "a design team list to identify
issues that would arise should an IETF meeting ever be held with
O(1000) 'remote' participants".     Was there any public report from
the design team?

It is unfortunate that the "design team" has decided not to consider
the potential impact of maintaining two classes of
"participants".  The disregard for the topic is a good indicator of
whether words such as "inclusiveness" can be taken seriously.

One of reasons for not to tackling a topic is if there isn't any
expertise in the IETF to work on that.  It is the responsibility of
the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) to provide advice on that and
it is up to the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) to give
its approval for the work to proceed.  The latest IAB minutes, which
are dated May 27, does not show any review of the proposed
charter.  Will the IAB review the proposed charter before it is
approved by the IESG?

The proposed charter has "TBD" under "milestones".  That is not
compliant with the contract which the proposed working group is seeking.

Will the "high-level principles" be about hopes or ambitions to
achieve something?

The "experience of handling meeting planning" is something internal
to the IESG.  Is that documented anywhere?  Is that even relevant
given that the proposed group was not involved in meeting planning?

Why is the proposed group proposing to work on "functional
requirements"?  Isn't that the work of the IETF Administration LLC?

Some parts of the proposed charter such as "cadence of meeting
scheduling ..." sounds like MTGVENUE-bis as that (concluded) group
previously worked on that.  The group was closed in March.  Does that
mean that the previous work caused some issues which was only noticed
three months after the MTGVENUE working group was closed?

Does the cadence of meeting scheduling affect NomCom
eligibility?  Did meeting planning have an impact on NomCom eligibility?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1.
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/manycouches/-KT9e9MkDgDpHS57La9f5IxMSNI/