Re: IETF attendance

S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com> Mon, 30 January 2017 00:40 UTC

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 16:38:20 -0800
To: IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org>
From: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Subject: Re: IETF attendance
Cc: Raul Echeberria <echeberria@isoc.org>, ietf@ietf.org

Hi Jari,
At 15:46 29-01-2017, IETF Chair wrote:
>Can you say more (perhaps off-list if you wish), as that
>didn’t help me identify the situation in question. Or are
>you bringing this up as an example from outside the IETF
>that might apply to IETF as well in some other case?

I'll include part of a message from Mr Echeberria
below.  I added him to the Cc so you can discuss
the matter with him and get first-hand information about what happened.

On 19-09-2016, Raul Echeberria wrote:
>I changed the subject of the thread because the
>previous subject was by itself both and exaggeration and a misstatement.
>
>I will try to explain as much clear as possible
>what is the situation and what's the solution
>trying to not refer to any specific previous email.
>
>Internet Society is a non for profit
>international and independent organization, not
>dependent of any government of the world. The
>organizations is incorporated in several
>countries for several reasons. Due to that we
>have to follow the laws of the countries in
>which we are incorporated. One of those countries is United States.
>
>According the US Law, any organization
>incorporated in the country has to comply with
>….. economic and trade sanctions based on US
>foreign policy and national security goals
>against targeted foreign countries and regimes……
>
>The local organization responsible of leading
>with this is the OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control).
>
>There is a broad variety of sanctions related to
>different countries. If you want to run some
>permitted activities in (or with) any of those
>countries, you need to get an OFAC license.
>
>Funding an Iranian citizen to participate in the
>IGF looks as something possible and legal to do.
>But we still need a license. It's not an
>overreaction of our lawyers. Consultations were
>made and our conclusion is that we can't do that without a license.

The above is about an example from outside the
IETF ( http://www.igf2016.mx/ ).  I don't know
whether it may apply to the IETF in some other
case.  It may be better for the IETF not to be entangled in such issues.

>Or is there an angle outside mtgvenue and IETF meeting
>attendance here that we should be aware of?

The bigger picture is that the path may be leading to an Internet fracture.

>(In general, various actors are under OFAC and other
>regulations limiting what they can do, in all parts of the
>world, even if the specific requirements differ. It doesn’t
>take much of a crystal ball to say that regulations are
>likely to increase in the future.)

Yes.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy