Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> Wed, 25 November 2020 18:03 UTC

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 10:03:11 -0800

John just saved me a lot of typing; let me just +1 everything he said.

For the record, I am very much opposed to shutting down the FTP service.

I have a cluster of systems using FTP to mirror I-D's.  Just the
.txt and index files.  This is trivial to perform with FTP, and
I've been running the same FTP-based mirror script for over a decade.
The cluster I use doesn't support rsync, and likely never will, yet
without that it's still more than functional enough to work as a
distributed desktop environment.  I won't declare the OS here as
that will almost certainly just devolve into a set of ad hominem
attacks against the operating environment, none of which are relevant
to the discussion.

I will also note that part of the reason ftp.ietf.org sees so little
traffic is likelty due to the highly aggressive session timeout on
the server's FTP command channel, making it pretty much unuseable
for interactive sessions. If you increased that timeout from 20
seconds to something reasonable, say five minutes, people might
start using the service interactively.

--lyndon