Re: I mentioned once that certain actions of the IETF maybecriminally prosecutable in nature...

"TSG" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Tue, 10 June 2008 03:07 UTC

From: TSG <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: TSG <tglassey@earthlink.net>, Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Subject: Re: I mentioned once that certain actions of the IETF maybecriminally prosecutable in nature...
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:07:26 -0700
Cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Fred - Here is the deal... What I said is that under section (a)(2)(B) of
the FEDERAL INTEREST COMPUTER definition section of the CFAA itself, that
any two parties involved in any interstate interchange or a single
interchange which crosses State borders, is prosecutable under the CFAA,
both by individuals as civil matters and then criminally by Federal and
State LE...

So Email across a state line works just fine for this.  What that means to
the IETF is simple...

1)    The IETF uses a distributed communications system which includes
conversations and electronic engineering sessions * (what I will call the
vetting process - i.e. that IP which is covered by NoteWell). Many of the
participants in this "IP generation process" are spread out across multiple
states and countries.

2)    And  its worth noting that

    a)    US citizens are constrained by the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
so where ever they are, they are constrained by US law as are others who
would periodically enter the US...

That means they cannot go to Europe and break those laws or Asia either. It
also means that they cannot break those same laws no matter where they are
if those servers are located outside of the US Jurisdiction, that's just the
law.

    b)    US citizens are also constrained also by the US conspiracy statute
and the CFAA no matter where they physically are. Likewise with claims
against them under the Stored Communications Act in addition to a couple of
others.