Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewandcomments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU> Sun, 11 January 2009 03:34 UTC

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:33:49 -0800
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
To: Randy Presuhn <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewandcomments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem
Cc: 'IETF Discussion' <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 04:28:31PM -0800, Randy Presuhn wrote:
> Hi -

	there are a broad range of possible interpertations on
	ones activities in such a loose confederation of like-minded
	individuals (since the IETF has no membership per se).

	i was pointing out that for some period of time, (and i suspect
	this is still true for non-WG generated materials) where the
	work product was developed independently of any given WG effort.
	the NFS spec comes to mind.

	for a few months/years, this was recognized by the RFC editor
	and the IAB/IESG - which created three specific copyright statements
	that reflected the various origins of the submitted materials.

	one of those "boilerplate" texts allowed for the listed authors
	to own the copyright to the text and gave specific permission to
	the IETF to publish the work "as-is".

	that said, i can not disagree with you on your understandings.

	so ... prior to the dis-engagement of CNRI and the rise of the
	IETF TRUST, just how would one define "the IETF" anyway?

--
--bill