My views on the Scenario O & C

Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@nokia.com> Fri, 24 September 2004 20:26 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:39:53 -0700
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@nokia.com>
Cc: Bob.Hinden@nokia.com
Subject: My views on the Scenario O & C
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

My current view is that the housing the IETF administrative activity in
ISOC (Scenario O) is the best of the two approaches.

Note: I have no position in the ISOC nor am a current member (or maybe they
do not have members these days).  My employer is a corporate member.  I was
a member when the ISOC was first created by Vint Cerf, but let my
membership lapse after a year or two.

There are a number of reasons why I came to hold this opinion that I will
try to outline below.

The problems in the IETF that is causing us to pursue the administrative
restructuring activity are real problems and need to be solved.   We
clearly need to have relationship with our support and infrastructure
service providers where we are the customer.  The current situation is
broken and needs to be fixed.

While these problems are real, I do not think they are the most important
or difficult problems the IETF faces today.  I think the bigger problems
are the problems with how we run the standards process (being working on in
NEWTRK but a long way from being done) and the potential problems down the
road with the UN based NextGen Internet governance activities.  The overall
functioning of the IETF has serious problems and less new work is being
done in the IETF.  Unless we fix this problem, in the long term we won't
have to worry about how well our administrative functions are working.

Housing the IETF administrative activity in ISOC seems to me to be a much
simpler solution to our administrative problems and will require much less
work to get it set up.  I am concerned that the independent approach will
take considerably more cycles and work from the IETF leadership to get it
set up and functioning.  This will take away from working on what I
consider to be more important problems.  There is also considerable risk
that it will not be as easy to setup as would be liked, taking additional
scarce resources.

The ISOC is certainly not perfect and has had serious problems in the
past.  These problems have been solved and as far as I can tell the ISOC is
working well.  I would note that the ISOC was initially set up by competent
people with the best of intentions, but things did not work out as
originally planned.  This is probably normal in any new organization.  It
seems to me that creating another new corporation for the IETF's
administrative functions is likely to also need some degree of
restructuring.  This will at a minimum take resources from the leadership,
or worse seriously disrupt the operation of the IETF.

If we go in the direction to create a new corporation for the IETF
administrative functions (i.e., Scenario C), it will duplicate a lot of
overhead functions.  Since any funds not derived from meeting fees will
come from the ISOC, these funds will have two taxes applies (e.g., the
overhead of each organizations).  I also worry that while the intention is
to keep the new organization small, it will tend to grow and consume more
resources on it's own over time.  We will be creating a new
bureaucracy.  Bureaucracies tend to grow over time

Both approaches assume some amount of funding from ISOC for IETF
activities.  This makes perfect sense in the approach where the
administrative activity is part of ISOC, but I don't think it is very
realistic to assume that the ISOC would give money to an independent
administrative activity without a certain amount of control.  The ISOC is,
of course, bound by the rules of their corporate structure that allows them
to be a non-profit tax exempt corporation.  If they are going to be legally
required to have some degree of control over the money they raise that is
earmarked for the IETF, I don't see what the benefit is of having an
independent organization.    If we could raise enough money ourselves
(e.g., just from meeting fees or other means), this would be very
different.  As long as we are dependent on money from the ISOC it seems to
me that it is better to make the administrative activity part of ISOC.

The IETF currently has a very important and close relationship with the
ISOC today.  We give them the copyrights to the standards we create, they
are part of the nomcom process, they are part of the appeals process, they
fund the RFC-Editor that we depend on, and we select people to be on the
ISOC board of trustees.  It seems to me that having them also provide our
administrative service is perfectly natural.  I think that if we can trust
the ISOC with our standards, we ought to be able to trust them to provide
our administrative services.

Bob