RE: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

<michael.dillon@bt.com> Wed, 19 December 2007 11:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:16:18 -0000
From: michael.dillon@bt.com
To: iesg@ietf.org, iaoc@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

> Yes, right now IPv6 deployment isn't good enough that we
> can't do this without using all sorts of workarounds.  OK,
> let's document those workarounds and make them available to
> the attendees.  If it means that the IETF network provider
> has to hijack the root, then let them hijack the root on the
> IETF network, and document that fact.  If there needs to be
> NAT-PT bridges to allow IETF'res to get back to their home
> networks connected to ISP's that don't yet offer IPv6
> connectivty, then let there be NAT-PT bridges --- and
> document them.  If various Windows, Macintosh, and Linux
> laptops need special configuration so to work around other
> problems, then document what the workarounds should be, and
> give people early warning and access to them.

This is the best suggestion that I have seen in this whole thread.

Build it, test it, get it ready for production and then unleash
it on the IETF themselves. All documented so that any network
operator who claims that it is impossible can be given a copy
of the recipe book.

IPv6 could have been ready to go years ago, but people got used
to pushing it down the priority list thinking that it was a long
term thing and it would be easier to deal with it later. That was
true to a point, but now IPv4 exhaustion means that IPv6 is no
longer a long term thing that can be repeatedly deprioritised. We
have to deal with it now, even if everything isn't as ready as we
had hoped.

> (Or maybe the
> IPv4 network can be made available over the wireless on a
> separate SSID with a fee attached,

That sounds a bit draconian. Since it is pretty straightforward to
tunnel IPv4 over IPv6, give them the IPv4 SSID and a walled-garden
web server where they register for free use of the tunneling service.
Then monitor your outgoing traffic (100% IPv6) and record how much
of it uses this tunnel service.

For this to work, it needs to be virtually painless for all users
including those who have a pure IPv4 environment and no capability
to use IPv6 in any form whatsoever.

--Michael Dillon