Re: IAB volunteers

Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca> Thu, 26 May 2016 13:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 09:21:36 -0400
From: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>
To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Subject: Re: IAB volunteers
Cc: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, ietf@ietf.org

On Thu, 26 May 2016, S Moonesamy wrote:

> At 11:10 25-05-2016, Ted Hardie wrote:
>> A same sex male couple attending the IETF in Singapore will  break the law
>> to have a normal family life.  Suspending that life for a week may have no
>> great important or lasting impact to some; for others it may mean they
>> cannot attend except remotely.  That latter choice may have an impact on
>> what jobs they can do for the IETF and may have an impact on their
>> employers' view of their work.
>
> I understand that giving a person a choice about whether to break the law or
> not is a problematic choice.
>
> There is a message at
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg14921.html
> from the IAB about a volunteer to serve on the ICANN
> Technical Liaison Group with the following requirement: "The ICANN TLG is
> expected to meet in person at or around the three ICANN meetings held each
> year".  Would the inability to attend, for example, an ICANN meeting for the
> reason I mentioned above be a disqualifying factor?

Note: I am one of the two ICANN TLG members sent by the IETF to ICANN.

The TLG meetings at ICANN are an important part of the role of liaison.
So yes, I do think attending ICANN meeting is essential for that role.

I've attended ICANN meetings in Singapore (LGBT rights issues), Dublin
(abortion rights issues), Marrakesh (various human rights issues) and
Buenos Aires. It planned meetings in Puerto Rico (LGBT rights issues)
and Panama (LGBT rights issues) but these were moved to Helsinki and
Hyderabad (LGBT rights issues)

ICANN meetings are much more geographically diverse compared to IETF
meetings. But as a result, they do suffer from visiting countries
which are not as inclusive with respect to various human rights.

Paul